[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Salon's Norah Vincent, ex-civil libertarian: "Freedo

Date sent:      	Sun, 04 Nov 2001 15:13:15 -0500
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Salon's Norah Vincent, ex-civil libertarian: "Freedom begets
 	evil"
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

[Well, yes, freedom can beget evil, but evil seems to be found even
more in restrictive societies that sharply curtail liberty. This seems
to be a sad case of a columnist looking for a good line and a
convenient defection than any thoughtful "reevaluation." --Declan]

---

http://salon.com/news/col/vincent/2001/11/02/libertarians/index_np.htm

    Freedom begets evil, and other realizations
    For civil libertarians -- like myself -- war is a time for some
    harsh reevaluation.

    By Norah Vincent

    Nov. 2, 2001 | Civil libertarians can be so smug. I should know. I
    am one. Or, I have professed to be one until now. Proudly, as it
    happens. Haughtily even. "I'm with the good guys," I told myself.
    "Not the theocrats. Not the anarchists. Just the right on,
    straight shooting, Bill of Rights toting crowd."

    Not anymore. Now it seems I'm with the sticklers, the devils who
    revel in the details, the litigious brake-slammers every American
    is learning to hate. That is to say, I'm still a civil
    libertarian, but I'm not always so proud of it anymore. And, if
    we're honest with ourselves, none of us should be.

    The reason is very simple. Freedom begets evil.

    [...]