[FYI] (Fwd) Programmers sued, or at risk, for decryption work

Date sent:      	Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:36:48 -0500
Send reply to:  	Law & Policy of Computer Communications              <CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
From:           	Seth Finkelstein <sethf@MIT.EDU>
Subject:        	Programmers sued, or at risk, for decryption work
To:             	CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

        With the indictment of Jon Johansen, I decided I'd make a list
of all the programmers recently having or needing lawyers for their
decryption or related work. Have I missed anybody here who should be
on the list?

Dimitry Sklyarov - PDF decryption - criminal case

Jon Johansen - participating in DVD decryption program - criminal case

Unknown German - actual DVD decryption - anonymous

Matthew Skala and Eddy L.O. Jansson - CyberPatrol censorware - civil
case

"Beale Screamer" - Microsoft lockware ("digital rights management") -
anonymous

SDMI researchers (too many to mention all of them individually, but
notably Felten, Craver, etc) - threats

Bennett Haselton - Cybersitter, I-Gear censorware - threats

Seth Finkelstein - various anticensorware work - 'nuff said

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf@sethf.com
http://sethf.com