[FYI] (Fwd) FBI Web Cache Mirror

Date sent:      	Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:20:04 -0500
To:             	Digital Bearer Settlement List <dbs@philodox.com>,
	dcsb@ai.mit.edu, cryptography@wasabisystems.com
From:           	"R. A. Hettinga" <rah@shipwright.com>
Subject:        	FBI Web Cache Mirror

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:57:02 -0800
To: cypherpunks@lne.com
From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: FBI Web Cache Mirror
Sender: owner-cypherpunks@lne.com

We had an e-mail exchange today with the FBI about
a bot coming to Cryptome daily to grab new files and
to check on old ones. We complained about the bot
taking over the site during its visit. The FBI explained
that the visits are part of a "web cache mirroring process:"

  http://cryptome.org/fbi-web-mirror.htm

We would appreciate hearing of other sites being mirrored
by the FBI. The IP address range of the MAS program:

  65.207.53.xxx

We have no objection to the FBI mirroring or by anybody else,
but misconfigured bots have been an annoyance for repeatedly
downloading old files, racking up tens of thousands error logs.
One today produced over 16MB of log files before we got the
user to wake up. Misconfigured WGet, as often, was the culprit.

--- end forwarded text

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@ibuc.com>