[FYI] Software Snags Crooks, Sneaking Spouses, but Alarms Privacy Advocates

<http://info.tbo.com/printversion.cgi?url=http%3A//ap.tbo.com/ap/brea
king/MGAOTQHFTXC.html&oaspagename=printthispage>

------------------------------ CUT ---------------------------------

Feb 17, 2002

Software Snags Crooks, Sneaking Spouses, but Alarms Privacy Advocates

By Allison Linn The Associated Press

SEATTLE (AP) - Right now, your boss, your spouse or the government
could secretly be reading all your typed words - even the ones you
deleted - while surreptitiously snapping your picture.

Sound alarming? The man who makes it possible is the first to agree.

"It's horrifying!" said Richard Eaton, who develops, markets and even
answers the technical help line for WinWhatWhere Corp. software.

"I'm Mr. Guard-My-Privacy, so it's kind of ironic," said Eaton, a
lanky 48-year-old with a diamond stud earring. "Every time I add a
feature into it, usually it's something that I've fought for a long
time."

His qualms haven't stopped him from selling the product, though -
more than 200,000 copies of it, to everyone from suspicious spouses
to the FBI.

[...]