[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Peekabooty developer replies to charge of "vaporware"

Date sent:      	Wed, 13 Mar 2002 00:15:18 -0500
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Peekabooty developer replies to charge of "vaporware"
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

Previous Politech message:

"Peekabooty vaporware already raises alarums at network providers"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03254.html

---

From: mrhappy@peek-a-booty.org
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:41:36 -0500
Subject: Re: FC: Peekabooty vaporware already raises alarums at
network providers To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>

>Well, maybe "vaporware" is a touch too strong. But wasn't it supposed
>to be released last summer?
>
>-Declan

Hi Declan,

         Well, vapourware is a _bit_ strong in that dev is still
         happening
at a ferocious rate on the project, its just that its got a number of
non-trivial issues still to over-come. As a brief update: rest assured
that at the moment there is concurrent development happening for both
Windows and Linux.

The "will be released in x months/hours/minutes..." rumour is
something that keeps getting perpetuated despite our best efforts to
stymie it (nothing dies on the internet <sigh/> ;-) At DefCon a
prototype was shown and it was expected that a beta would be released
within six months of that date. Then reality reared its ugly head. At
CodeCon another considerably more advanced demo was shown but
Peekabooty is as of yet still not ready for public consumption.

We're not releasing not because we don't want people using it but
because we believe that to release to the general public Peekabooty in
any state that isn't satisfactorily secure and tested would be
irresponsible. We do not want users picking up on a version that might
have security holes or other flaws in it and using that. In such a
situation where using the software could compromise the user, not
using the software at all is the best scenario.

Cheers,
MrHappy

--

"Anyone who creates his or her own cryptographic primitive is either a
genius or a fool. Given the genius/fool ratio for our species, the