[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Petition asks European Parliament not to require require Net-snooping

Date sent:      	Mon, 20 May 2002 10:20:40 -0400
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Petition asks European Parliament not to require Net-snooping
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

Previous Politech messages:

"E.U. votes on May 15 to log Internet, phone traffic for police"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03496.html

"Europe set to nix Bush request, not require ISP data retention"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02789.html

---

Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 08:01:00 +0200
To: declan@well.com
From: Mikael Pawlo <mikael@pawlo.com>
Subject: GILC opposes EU anti-terrorist law

Declan,

http://stop1984.com/index2.php?text=letter.txt

The Global Internet Liberty Campaign is going to send a letter to the
European Parliament on May 22, opposing a proposed law to require
phone companies and Internet service providers to store and keep
traffic data for years in order to make it available to the
authorities on request. 'Traffic data' means the records of who called
whom, who sent email to whom and so forth. One may wonder if enough
terrorists are stopped by this measure to justify the invasion of
privacy. Further, it is a clear danger that dictarships would label
the political opposition as terrorists.

Regards

Mikael

___