Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:12:07 +0200 (CEST)
From: PILCH Hartmut <phm@a2e.de>
To: intprop-l@topica.com
Subject: Re: Memorandum on COM (2002) final 2002/0047 COD

> Approximately one month ago, for a certain purpose I collected a
> number of aspects concerning the implications of the EU Draft
> Directive on the Patentability of Computer-Implemented Inventions
> resulting in a paper which I decided to put on my website:
>
>   http://www.ipjur.com/data/020414memorandum20.pdf
>
> Any comments?

There are some new thoughts in there which might warrant a review, if I
have time.

Unfortunately most of the text consists of a reiteration of fallacies
about the history and meaning of Art 52 EPC, without a reference to the
many public refutations and the historical evidence to the contrary.

At the end the text says that the current struggle is "not about morality"
but about the "future distribution of profits".  Then it says that the
right to develop free software in the public space is connected to issues
of citizen's basic rights.  Apparently, in your view citizen's basic
rights are not connected to morality.  And making false claims about the
history and meaning of Art 52 EPC is an obligatory propaganda tactic that
is dictated by higher aims such as the future distribution of profits.
Such propaganda tactics create a lot of noise which makes it difficult to
conduct any serious discussion and to filter out those parts of your paper
which might be worth discussing.

--
Hartmut Pilch, FFII & Eurolinux Alliance              tel. +49-89-12789608
Protecting Innovation against Patent Inflation	     http://swpat.ffii.org/