[FYI] (Fwd) FC: U.K. considers even broader version of DMCA copyright law

Date sent:      	Mon, 12 Aug 2002 02:52:03 -0400
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: U.K. considers even broader version of DMCA copyright law
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

Text of the draft:
http://www.patent.gov.uk/about/consultations/eccopyright/index.htm

Excerpt (page 14 of PDF):
>  A person commits an offence if he—
>(a) makes for sale or hire, or
>(b) imports otherwise than for his private and domestic use, or
>(c) in the course of a business—
>(i) sells or lets for hire, or
>(ii) offers or exposes for sale or hire, or
>(iii) advertises for sale or hire, or
>(iv) possesses, or
>(v) distributes, or
>(d) distributes otherwise than in the course of a business to such an
>extent as to affect prejudicially the copyright owner any device,
>product or component which is primarily designed, produced, or
>adapted for the purpose of enabling or facilitating the circumvention
>of effective technological measures.

Because, based on my quick and preliminary reading, this would ban the
mere possession of circumvention tools, it would be broader than the
U.S. version.

-Declan

---