[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Entertainment lobbyists have new opponent: Verizon and Baby Bells

Date sent:      	Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:58:40 -0400
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
Subject:        	FC: Entertainment lobbyists have new opponent: Verizon and Baby Bells
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

http://news.com.com/2008-1082-955417.html?tag=politech

   Why telecoms back the pirate cause
   By Declan McCullagh
   August 27, 2002, 12:00 PM PT

   ASPEN, Colorado--The copyright wars on Capitol Hill have
   begun to drift into the political equivalent of trench warfare,
   with Hollywood and the music industry pitted against hardware
   makers, electronics manufacturers, and ragtag activists at
   nonprofit groups.

   Now consumers have a powerful new ally. Verizon and other
   telecommunications giants have ordered their phalanx of lobbyists
   to oppose the entertainment industry's demands for new copyright
   laws. The company is also fighting the Recording Industry
   Association of America's request for information about a
   subscriber.

   So at the center of the copyright scrum, you'll find Sarah Deutsch.
   The 41-year-old Deutsch, a vice president and associate general
   counsel at Verizon, represented her employer during the
   negotiations over the World Intellectual Property Organization
   (WIPO) copyright treaties and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
   (DMCA). These days, she is marshaling the opposition to proposals
   in Congress that would permit attacks on peer-to-peer networks,
   boost technology used for digital rights management, and grant more
   power to copyright holders.

   CNET News.com sat down with Deutsch, who was recently in town for a
   Progress and Freedom Foundation conference, to talk about this
   looming confrontation over digital copyright law.

   Q: The Recording Industry Association of America wants you to
   reveal the name of a subscriber who's an alleged peer-to-peer
   pirate, but you're saying they're not following the appropriate
   legal procedure. What's the dispute? A: Verizon looked carefully at
   the subpoena. This is different from anything they had sent us in
   the past. (Those) always applied to material residing on our system
   or network (instead of a peer-to-peer node). It created a very
   difficult policy issue for us. We understand that RIAA has a
   problem and needs this information. At the same time, we have an
   equally legitimate concern that they comply with the proper legal
   process. We believe this is a very important case of first
   impression and should not be rushed.

   [...]

--- Like Politech? Make a donation here:
http://www.politechbot.com/donate/ Recent CNET News.com articles:
http://news.search.com/search?q=declan CNET Radio 9:40 am ET weekdays:
http://cnet.com/broadband/0-7227152.html