[FYI] Where art thou Stuckists? Intel reveals share denial PC scheme

---------------------------- CUT -------------------------------

Where art thou Stuckists? Intel reveals share denial PC scheme

By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco

It was a schizophrenic Intel that faced the world at its Developer
Conference in San Jose yesterday. In the morning keynote it touted
its new multimedia "adaptor" platform, with glossy lifestyle videos
explaining how our "digital media experience" would become "more
convenient".

In the afternoon it explained why it was embedding digital
certificates into the hardware - and a spokesman from VeriSign Inc.,
which is partnering with Intel in this great adventure, could hardly
believe his luck.

On Thursday, when most of the press will have departed, it will host
a session discussing a variety of share-denial technologies being
funded by, or developed in, Intel's labs. These include our old
favorite CPRM - incorporated into DVD-Audio players from Panasonic
(DMR-E20) and Pioneer (DVR-3000) - along with DTCP (Digital
Transmission Content Protection, which encrypts air to ground, or
cable transmissions over FireWire) and HDCP (High Bandwith Digital
Content Protection), which encrypts the display transmissions from
your computer to your monitor.

What an astonishing loss of courage from America's greatest
technology company - and we mean that most sincerely.

[...]

Bootnote: We shamelessly borrowed the term 'Stuckist' from the art
movement of the same name, which can be found here. We don't really
have anything in common - except that we're all stuck if this madness
ensues. The term was coined by Charles Thomson.