1st Big Brother Awards Spain / Belgium

s.a. http://at.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=16189&group=webcast
| Spanische Big Brother zum ersten Mal premiert

BTW, morgen, Mi. gehts dann schon weiter mit den
1st Big Brother Awards Belgium -> http://www.be.bigbrotherawards.org/
zum Einstieg erstmal in einer Sparvariante (nur Internet-bezogen)
im Rahmen des jaehrlichen belg. IT-Szene-Events "Night of The Internet"

in Kuerze dann auch wieder in .de/ .at/ .ch/ .hu
-> http://www.bigbrotherawards.org/

At 16:09 05.10.02 +0200, Peter Kuhm wrote:

>Heute abend (5.10.) gibt es im Rahmen der madhack02 (Hackmeeting
>Madrid) die Premiere der spanischen BBAs. Veranstalter ist das
>Spanish Chapter of Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility.
>
>-> http://www.bigbrotherawards-es.org/index.php?lang=en

--- snip ---

        BBA SPAIN: AN EVENTīS VIEW
        Arturo Quirantes Sierra

        "The bull is already waiting in the arena ... and weīve decided to jump down."

        With these words, David Casacuberta and this writer started our
BBA adventure.  For some time, independently from each other, we had the
Big Brother Awards mosquito biting our minds.  It was one of those
projects stinging you day by day, under the "one of these days" sector.
After yet another country joining in the BBA brotherhood, the wish to turn
the project into reality grew, like the swimmer waiting on the edge of the
water.  Till, in may 2002, we jumped in.  From then on, the BBA Spain
started taking shape

        I will not bore you with the entire process.  The words of
encouragement from the other BBAers, the shy beginnings in June, the long
vacation period, the end of the summer, and the clock ticking.  Thereīs
the jury to choose, webpages to set up, start the meeting machinery in
Madrid, last-minute nomination ... some day we might even recover our
strength so we can tell the whole story.

        One thing was clear: the spanish last-minute-effort capability was
streched to the limit.  In spite of the hard work by the few
collaboratros, many things went resolved, or just turned wrong.  The
calendar tyranny gave so little time for the jury to decide, that the
nerves of the Madrid organizers were on the verge of a breakdown.  At the
moment of truth, the press just didnīt show up -we didnīt seem to be as
important as the latest soccer team; still, the public 2nd Channel of
spanish TV aired a long documentary on the subject of hacking, along with
the movie "Sneakers", it was chance, but welcome indeed-; add the lack of
material means and funding, and the recipe for disaster seemed to be
cooking.

        But the human capability for adaptation and response beat it all.
 Still no physical awards to give at t minus 2 hours?  No problemo, just
borrow a few empty CDs -a good symbol for the state of privacy rights in
Spain, besides having a canon- and thatīs it.  The master of ceremonies is
MIA?  Well, the prof -thatīs me- will have to jump up the stage.  I lose
the "winner is" envelopes?  Good that memory didnīt completely fail, and
thereīs still some BBA-labelled sheets.  Lack of funding preventing us
from making even a few posters, but nothing some A3 color enlargements
canīt solve.

        In the best spanish tradition, the first BBA ceremony started with
some delay, in the evening of 5 October 2.002, in the yearly hackers
reunion known as the Hackmeeting; the chosen place for this year is the
Labo 03 (Laboratory 3) squatter center in Madrid.  A video made for the
beginning refuesed to be played, a bad omen right in the start.  Success
was finally achieved, and Microsoftīs Steve Ballmer welcomed the audience
from his now famous I-love-this-company show.  An audience of 99%+ Linux
users could only love it!

        I can confess it now: I had my doubts on the conveniency of
celebrating the first BBA in a Hackmeeting.  But it turned out a complete
success.  Over 300 people crowded the meeting hall, watching and cheering
at their favorite Big Brothers as they showed up on the screen.  How much
energy they spent while "loved" companies as Microsoft and Telefónica (Spainīs
largest phone company) made their debut is something I leave to your
imagination.

        If you didnīt experience, well, thereīs no possible substitute in
my words.  But you wonīt be left out in the cold.  Hereīs the BBA Spain
2002 winners, along with the runners-up.  It was a fierce competition
indeed -the roar of the people was the best withness to it- but thereīs
place for only one winner.  Several, to be true, for awards were given in
five categories:

        PUBLIC SECTOR AWARD: The Danish Presidency of the EU.
Qualifications: its plans to make data retention mandatory in all Member
States
        Runners-ups:
        - Ana Palacio, currently Spainīs Foreign Affairs Minister (for her
role in the race for data retention while she was a Member of the EP)
        - The LSSI (Information Society Services Bill, which includes
data-retention obligations among other beauties).

        PRIVATE SECTOR AWARD. Deutsche Bank.
Qualifications: Deutsche Bank Spainīs firing of one of his workers (a
worker union liaison), whose email was intercepted without his consent and
without a judge order, in violation of Article 18 of the spanish
constitution; the worker is currently suing DB for that reason

        Runner-ups:
        - Corte Inglés, Spainīs largest department store, for his all-out
surveillance by CCTV cameras both inside and outside its facilities.
        - Telefónica, Spainīs largest phone operator, for his aggresive
market tactics, his lack of interest toward users, and other abuses (BTW:
it didnīt win, but got by far the largest applause from the crowd!)

        INTRUSIVE TECHNOLOGIES AWARD: Microsoft Passport

Qualifications: this technology, initially designed for e-commerce, can be
easily abused and large amounts of personal data snatched by large
companies, with little or no control at all from the user.

        Runner-ups:
        - Eresmas, a spanish ISP recently known to track and log its
userīs behavior, allegedly for commercial gains.
        - Intel, for his repeated attempts to ID every chip it makes, thus
allowing an easy tracking of each computerīs activity.

        PEOPLEīS CHOICE: SGAE (spanish association of authors and editors
Qualifications: his support to highly aggresive anticopy systems, and also
for forcing ever virgin CD to have a canon to compensate authors for lost
revenue due to piracy; the fact that EVERY CD carries this canon
regardless of its final use, doesnīt seem to bother them.
        Runners-ups: lots of them, take from me!

        "MARIANA PINEDA" (POSITIVE) AWARD IN DEFENSE OF CYBER-RIGHTS: the
"Stop1984" campaign, for its fight against data-retention initiatives in
the EU.
       Runner-ups: Senator Félix Lavilla, Kriptopolis.com website, Jordi
Murgó (designer of anti-sniffer detector systems), sindominio.net).

        Lack of time prevented us from contacting the winners to get their
opinion, or even to have them pick up their prize (not that we expected
it, anyway).  But we did manage to get Stop1984 the news on time.  One of
their representatives managed to email us back their thanks, which were
read on the stage by journalist and hacktivist Mercé Molist:

- - --------------------------------------

        Ladies and Gentlemen

        On behalf of Stop1984 I would like to say thank you for this
price. Being called "defenders of freedom and privacy at the Internet"
does make me proud. And it tells me that initiatives like Stop1984 are
important and can make a difference.

        Here, on the first Spanish "Big Brother Awards" we can see that
privacy is endangered in Spain, as well as it is anywhere.

        Organisations like Mienten, Villanos and Kriptopolis in Spain have
shown that this fact - privacy endangered - is something that makes people
realize how much privacy is worth fighting for.

        All around the world organisations try to create awareness for the
problems of surveillance in society, try to make people see what is going
on. This is most important in a world where the dangers of a lost privacy
are often underestimated and where a lot of people is lost in a helpless
struggle against becoming the "digital citizen".

        I regret that I can not be here tonight to show you how much this
price means to me and Stop1984. But I want to take this opportunity to ask
you, Ladies and Gentlemen, for support.

        Not for Stop1984 alone, but for all the organisations, for all the
data security officers and for all the citizens who want to keep their
privacy. Please help us to keep privacy alive.

Thank you

Twister
STOP 1884

- - --------------------------------------

        Thank you, Twister.  We do intend to keep it alive and thriving.

        Now that the first BBA Spain is behind us, Iīd like to thank those
who helped to its success: Marcos Serrano, Esteve, Manje, David
Casacuberta, and other who I should remember if only my memory worked
fine.  Thanks to the organizers of the Hackmeeting and to the Labo03
people.  Thanks to all the audience, your cheers and roars kept the event
alive.

        Now we have an entire year to prepare better.  You learn from your
mistake, and we have no doubt that the second BBA will outdo the first
one.  And yet, that first-time feeling is a one-time-only sensation, and
none of us will forget it.

        To end it up, hereīs a copule press cuts, in Spanish.  Media
coverage has been scarce, but itīs slowly spreading.  We hope it will
spread to the english-speaking world, too.  You can help, too, by sharing
thsee views with whomever you please.  Feel free to distribute it at will.
 Reproduction authorized.

http://www.bigbrotherawards-es.org
http://www.elpais.es/articulo.html?xref=20021007elpmad_9&type=Tes&anchor=elpmad&d_date=20021007
http://libertaddigital.es/./noticias/noticia_1275319741.html