[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Why fathers of PC revolution are wary of digital rig

Date sent:      	Thu, 10 Oct 2002 01:27:28 -0400
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Why fathers of PC revolution are wary of digital rights
 	management
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

---

Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 15:40:12 +1000
From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochrane@theage.fairfax.com.au>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Why three fathers of the PC revolution are wary of DRM

Hi Declan

While doing research for a yarn I found these observations on Digital
Restrictions Management (DRM) from three gentlemen -- David Reed, Dan
Bricklin and Ray Ozzie -- who can legitimately claim to have
collectively done more than most to kick-start the PC revolution.

David Reed was chief scientist and VP R&D at Lotus
"This is what is wrong with Berman-Coble, with DRM, with TCPA, and
with Gator. It's my computer, dammit. If I don't give informed
consent, you can't use it."
http://www.satn.org/archive/2002_09_29_archive.html

Dan Bricklin, co-inventor of Visicalc, the first killer app for the PC
"If you are an artist or author who cares more than about the
near-term value of your work, you should be worried and be careful
about releasing your work only in copy protected form. Like the days
when "art" was only accessible to the rich, two classes will probably
develop: Copy protected and not copy protected, the "high art" and
"folk art" of tomorrow." http://www.bricklin.com/robfuture.htm

Ray Ozzie, inventor of what became Lotus Notes, the world's first
groupware collaborative software for PCs, a killer app. "With rich and
open access, will contractual controls on use of Web Services data be
sufficient, or will we need technical means of use enforcement?  How
far will Digital Restrictions Management creep its way into the
system-to-system realm?"
http://www.ozzie.net/blog/stories/2002/08/22/nondiscretionaryControlsC
antLiveWithemCant.html

--

Nathan Cochrane
Deputy IT Editor

--- Like Politech? Make a donation here:
http://www.politechbot.com/donate/ Recent CNET News.com articles:
http://news.search.com/search?q=declan