Fwd: UPDATE: Documentation of Thousands of Sites Blocked in China

"nearly twenty thousand [websites] to be inaccessible from China"

This is a forwarded message
From: Benjamin Edelman <edelman@law.harvard.edu>
Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2002, 11:10:11 AM
Subject: UPDATE: Documentation of Thousands of Sites Blocked in China

EMPIRICAL ANALYSIS OF INTERNET FILTERING IN CHINA
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/china>

Greetings,

You're receiving this note because we have you recorded as seeking updates
on our work at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society.  You can reply
with comments or adjustments to notification status -- I maintain this list
personally, and I will see all replies.

Professor Zittrain and I are studying Internet filtering in countries
worldwide, including restrictions on Web access in China.  As in our prior
testing of Saudi Arabia [1], there exists no publicly available master list
of blocked sites.  To assemble something approaching such a list, we have
found ways to remotely test "twenty questions" style, asking about thousands
of individual URLs, whether based upon a domain name or an IP address.

We today released a report detailing the results of testing over the past
eight months.  We tested more than two hundred thousand web sites, and we
found nearly twenty thousand to be inaccessible from China.  Highlights
include sites operated by world governments, non-governmental organizations,
and educational institutions -- as well as sites with health, entertainment,
and political content.

Our report is available at
    <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/china>

We continue to operate a system for real-time testing of filtering in China
    <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/china/test>

Ben Edelman
Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Harvard Law School
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/>

[1]
Documentation of Internet Filtering in Saudi Arabia
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/saudiarabia>

[..]