May a Provider Restrict Customer use of an IP Network?

Cook fragt, ich denke ja. Vergleicht es mal mit Kabelfernsehen. Wieso soll
der Hardwareliferant nicht am Kuchen teilhaben? Vielleicht muss man da mit
dem Steuerrecht arbeiten oder einer technischen Erweiterung von TCP/IP.
Wenn DRM und Micropayment funktionieren, warum nicht auch das?
Vielleicht koennte man Mickey Mouse etc auf einen bestimmten Port legen.

H.

Voila:

Finally we look at an important struggle seeking the preservation of
neutrality of Internet attachment. We follow Larry Lessig's
discussion of how "a strange coalition of companies and consumer
activists, including Disney, Microsoft, and the Media Access Project,
sent a letter to the chairman and members of the FCC, asking the
government to ensure the "ability of consumers and business to
communicate with one another ... without obstruction from network
service providers." Both steps signal, LeggMason reported, a "key
policy issue" that will increasingly frame the telecommunications
debate: "the extent to which the network provider can restrict the
customers' use of the network." What is going on hearkens back in
part to the question of the Cable co's complaints about bandwidth
hogs covered in the early pages of this issue. We note that when
these folks make arguments about maintaining quality of service what
they are saying essentially is they want to restrict customer's use
of the network in order to maintain their central control.