[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Can copy protected CDs hurt artists by limiting radio play?

Date sent:      	Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:17:12 -0400
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Can copy protected CDs hurt artists by limiting radio play?
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

---

Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 11:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhall@astron.Berkeley.EDU>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: unanticipated effects of copy protection...

[I thought this was interesting... Radio stations that are 100%
digital can't play certain copy-protected CDs because the
copy-protection doesn't allow them to rip the tracks on to their
station's system. Copy-protection is therfore directly responsible for
the lack of airtime in this market by the artists who choose to
copy-protect their CDs! It's safe to say that this isn't the last of
such effects... -joe]

---

Copy protected CDs: artists can be the losers

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/03/1048962867084.html

<...>

This radio station, which recently received its regular bag of
freebies from EMI, finds that it is unable to play any of the CDs it
received - the copy protection on the discs gets in the way.

<...>

The station in question has no standalone CD players, just desktop PCs
(all running Windows 2000) and a couple of old Denon CD Cart players.

"The CD tries to install some files to allow the PC to play the CD but
my boss won't authorise the installation of these files because he has
no technical info on the software," wrote the gentleman who let us
know about this.

"And if we can't transfer the CD tracks to our digital playout system
the CD ain't going to get any airplay at all!"

<...>

Joe

PS: There's also a discussion about this on slashdot...
http://www.shorl.com/fypofisistefri [yro.slashdot.org]

Joseph Lorenzo Hall                     jhall@astro.berkeley.edu

--- POLITECH evening reception in New York City at 7 pm, April 1, 2003
at CFP: http://www.politechbot.com/events/cfp2003/