[FYI] ISPs Up the Ante in Spam Fight

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,58618,00.html

---SNIP---
ISPs Up the Ante in Spam Fight, By Michelle Delio

02:00 AM Apr. 25, 2003 PT

They're mad as hell and they're not going to take it anymore.

It's not news that Internet service providers are sick of spam, but now
it seems their patience has truly worn thin.
[...]

Everyone in attendance agrees that spam is pure evil. But few agree on
how to stop this pillage of their networks. Stopping spam isn't
difficult, but stopping it without angering clients and legitimate
e-mail marketers is a challenge.

"We face two incompatible demands. Our customers want no spam, but they
also want no censorship," said Ken Slaughter, CEO of Active Internet
Communications, an ISP based in Springfield, Missouri.

Judging by the products demonstrated at IPSCON, the next generation of
spam-fighting tools will be permission-based e-mail, a sort of caller ID
for e-mail systems that allows users or ISPs to screen messages and
decide what to respond to and what to ignore.
[...]
---SNAP---

--
np: Judas Priest - Grinder