Subject: Re: Regional differences in P2P
Date: Thursday 15 July 2004 11:25
From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
To: nanog@merit.edu

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Sean Donelan wrote:
> Apparently CacheLogic based most of their conclusions on data
> collected from a European "tier 1" ISP.  However, another
> study by Sandvine found regional differences in file sharing
> networks.  Europe and the US don't have the same file sharing
> patterns, or even popular file sharing programs.

I would also like to add that over here Direct Connect is quite
 common among the more organized and hard-core file swappers,
 while the really-hardcore guys of course are still using
 private ftp servers.

With proliferation of 10 meg ethernet (full duplex) connections
 for residential use in (especially) northern europe and in
 asia, users are more likely to serve content to other users
 around the world.

I have made some studies regarding the bandwidth usage pattern
 between equal size populations where the difference is if they
 have ADSL 8M/800k or if they have 10M/10M. The amount of data
 served is 1/3rd on ADSL compared to the symmetric ethernet
 population, and as a population they serve out more content
 than they download (approx twice the amount) on ethernet. The
 ADSL population peak at approx twice the bw as they serve, but
 on average they serve a little less than they download.

Hmm, the above wasn't very clear, but here it goes in another
 format:

Ethernet:

Peak almost twice upload as download.
Average is 2.5-3 times more upload than download.

ADSL 8M/800k:

Peak twice the amount download as upload
Average is 1.3-1.5 more download than upload
Upload bw usage is almost flat over time
Download bw peak is approx double the average level.

My interpretation of this is that p2p networks are quite
 intelligent in using the available bandwidth, and that
 Copyright holders only solution is a "content crunch" due to
 providers limiting their users upload potential due to heavy
 usage, such as capping the amount of bandwidth allowed per
 month or alike.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se