Re: Internet Law Task Force (ILTF)

Heiko:

 From: Kurt.Jaeger@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE (Kurt Jaeger aka PI)
 To: "Netzforum" <NETZFORUM@medea.wz-berlin.de>
 Subject: Re: ILTF
 Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 15:20:11 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

> Im Mai d. J. wurde im Netzforum gemailt, dass eine Initiative zur Gruendung
> einer Internet Law task Force -ILTF gebildet worden sei.
>
> Weiss irgendjemand den aktuellen Stand dieser Initiative ? Gibt es bereits
> eine ILTF oder ist die Bewegung eingeschlafen ?

Below follow details...

		So short, PI

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 10:25:07 -0500 (EST)
> From: jritter@osc.edu (Jeffrey Ritter)
Subject: ILTF Press Release

INTERNET LAW TASK FORCE ORGANIZING TO ACHEIVE CONSENSUS ON INTERNET LEGAL ISSUES

OCTOBER 31, 1995--Seattle,WA--The first international conference on the law
of the Internet served as the platform for the announcement of an effort to
establish the Internet Law Task Force (ILTF) to facilitate the progressive
development of law and public policy in the global information age.

The ILTF will provide an international forum for issues related to the use
and growth of the Internet including: evolution of the business practices
and legal instruments to assure the validity and acceptance of digital
transactions; property rights; privacy; and the elimination of legal
barriers to Internet commerce and electronic transactions.

"We need to accelerate at the global level the development of solutions
borne of consensus," stated Peter Harter, former executive director and
general counsel of National Public Telecomputing Network, and now public
policy counsel of Netscape Communications, who first advanced the ILTF
concept.

"Developing standards and practices to protect digital information and
promote the integrity of electronic markets is essential for extending the
Internet to developing countries and nations in transition," said Jeffrey
Ritter, a legal advisor to the United Nations on the automation of
international trade.  "Quite simply, without an established framework, the
Internet faces a confusing, and potentially disabling, assortment of
national laws seeking to govern a global environment," Ritter added.

Seattle-based Discovery Institute will provide initial organizatinal
support for the ILTF.  The organizing committee will be jointly chaired by
Albert Gidari, a partner with the Seattle-based law firm Perkins Coie and
senior fellow of Discover Institute; Harter; and Ritter, program director
for ECLIPS, a research program of the Ohio Supercomputer Center.

"Our goal is to mature the ILTF into an operating non-governmental
organization as soon as practicable, but ILTF must be a collaborative
operation.  We look forward to seeking and obtaining broad-based support
for moving ahead." the organizers said.

The Internet Law Symposium '95, hosted by the Discovery Institute, was the
first conference devoted to analyzing the legal aspects of an evolving
global space.  Bruce Chapman, President of Discovery Institute, announced
that most of those attending added their names to the global listserv--an
electronic discussion group--established for continuing dialogue on the
structure and direction of the ILTF.

The concept has attracted widespread interest from industry, which has
grown increasingly concerned by the growing efforts of governments to
attempt to regulate the Internet.  According to Harter, since the early
dialogue on the need for an ILTF, over one hundred interested organizations
and professionals from four continents have urged establishment og the
ILTF.

"For commerce to succeed in cyberspace greater certainty, not inconsistent
regulatory regimes around the globe, is needed," Gidari said.

For more information on the ILTF, visit www.discovery.org/iltf on the
Internet of e-mail Peter Harter at pfh@netscape.com, Jeffrey Ritter at
jritter@eclips.osc.edu, or Al Gidari at gidaa@perkinscoie.com.  The ILTF
listserv may be joined by sending "subscribe" to iltf@eclips.osc.edu.

For further information, contact Rob Crowther, Discovery Institute,
(206)287-3144.

Jeffrey B. Ritter                Voice: (614) 292-5691
Program Director                 Fax:   (614) 292-7168
ECLIPS                           E-mail: jritter@eclips.osc.edu
Ohio Supercomputer Center
1224 Kinnear Road                URL: http://www.osc.edu/Eclips/eclips.html
Columbus, OH 43212-1163