Date:          Wed, 16 Jul 1997 19:34:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:          Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To:            fight-censorship-announce@vorlon.mit.edu
Subject:       FC: Microsoft will NOT ship browser with RSACi on by default

Microsoft called me a few hours ago and told me that -- despite reports to
the contrary -- the company definitely will *not* ship the next version of
Internet Explorer configured to block unlabeled sites out of the box.
"The product is going to ship with Content Advisor off by default," said
Mark Murray (mmurray@microsoft.com).

My article at http://netlynews.com today had said:

  The next version of IE will default to displaying only properly
  labeled web pages, according to Ken Wasch, the president of the
  Software Publishers Association.

This comes after previous reports that RSACi might be default-on:

  http://pathfinder.com/netly/editorial/0,1012,476,00.html
  http://pathfinder.com/netly/editorial/0,1012,740,00.html

Kudos to Microsoft for doing the right thing.

-Declan

This list is public. To join fight-censorship-announce, send
"subscribe fight-censorship-announce" to majordomo@vorlon.mit.edu.
More information is at http://www.eff.org/~declan/fc/
---
Arne.Haeckel@SOFTCON.de
SOFTCON IT-Services GmbH                Germany
Gruenwalder Weg 28g, D-82041 Oberhaching
fon:089/61308-253             fax:089/61308-299