[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Auch Indien weiss wie
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Auch Indien weiss wie
- From: "Ralf W. Stephan" <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:20:06 +0200
- Comment: This message comes from the debate mailing list.
- Reply-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
India Sold on Techno Doozy
NEW DELHI -- India has approved sweeping guidelines which will boost
government spending on computers and turn public telephone booths into
email centers, a government official said Thursday.
A task-force report, pushed as a blueprint to turn India into a
software superpower, plans to link schools, colleges, and hospitals by
2003 and offer Internet access nodes in all districts by early 2000.
The development of the Internet is considered vital if the country
hopes to build on its success as a software exporter. India's elite
industry is already ranked among the world's leaders, and its output
is vital to the country's economy. The task force aims to boost
India's software exports to US$50 billion by 2008 from $1.8 billion in
"We have become more liberal than what has been given in the United
States as a policy," said Narasimhiah Seshagiri, director general of
the National Informatics Center and a key member of the panel that
came up with the 108 recommendations.