frage zu usenet2

hallo debate, was ist davon zu halten? gruesse. karl

------------------------
URL             :  http://www.usenet2.org

                                 Usenet II

                             What is Usenet II?

   Usenet II is an attempt to create a structure where the traditional
   Usenet model of cooperation and trust can be made to work in the
   Internet of the 21st century.

   We think that with a pretty minimal set of restrictions on abusive
   behaviour we can establish an environment where something like Usenet
   can prosper, the way it used to be.

   And what does "the way it used to be" mean? Well, it doesn't mean a
   perfect place where nobody ever disagrees, nobody ever says anything
   mean or nasty, or even necessarily where that behaviour is the
   exception. There have always been groups where flaming is the norm.
   We're not going to try to make Usenet II into some sort of "nice"
   place, and we don't think we should try. But it used to be that Usenet
   was a place where people communicated with people. Where people,
   whether they were being nice or not, were there because they wanted to
   say something.

   These days, well, there's a lot of people who for money or simply
   entertainment seem to think that it's something else. Free advertising
   space, a convenient anonymous file drop, or even a distributed web
   site and FTP server for their customers. Russ Allbery wrote a fine
   rant on that subject, which is reproduced [1]here.

   And then there are people who get their kicks by breaking things.
   They've always been around, too, but in the past they've been
   constrained by the difficulty of getting, and keeping, access to
   Usenet. Usenet II access is not a right, the way Usenet access has
   become. This isn't to say that we'll prevent anyone from posting to
   Usenet II just because of who they are, but if they can't cooperate
   they'll have a much harder time finding an open site to launch their
   attacks from.

                           Questions and answers.

   How do you plan to do this?
          With the Usenet II Rules, [2]rules.txt, and various automatic
          tools and monitors that enforce them, which brings us to the
          most commonly asked question:

   Why did my message get cancelled?
          Either it violated one of the rules in a way that the automatic
          monitor caught, or it was posted without the appropriate magic
          dust being added by your ISP to tag it as a Usenet II message.
          If that's the case, then your ISP is probably not part of
          Usenet II. Have a look further down this list to see how to
          change that.

   Who's behind this?
          The Usenet II hierarchy managers (Czars), [3]czars.txt will be
          doing most of the hard work, delegated to them by the gophers
          in the Usenet II Steering Committee, [4]committee.txt. ([5]mug
          shots here)

   What's this stuff about Czars and Fiefs and other scary medieval
          stuff?
          If we called them "electronic janitors" we wouldn't get nearly
          as many volunteers for the job, now would we?

          The most important part of a czar's job is simply to manage the
          namespace they're responsible for. Coming up with names of
          groups has been, oddly enough, the biggest problem in Usenet I
          after spam. Rather than leave it to the populace or have some
          kind of central naming committee we have people who understand
          and care about the subject matter handling it.

   Is that really how you spell it?
          What? Czar? We had a whole bunch of discussion about that in
          the various mailing lists that started all this stuff. We think
          so. If we're wrong, well, it's only a name.

   What's Usenet II consist of?
          The current groups are listed in [6]groups.txt, with the
          linky-linky version in [7]groups.html.
          You can feed [8]checkgroups.txt straight to, well, you know
          what...

   How do I, as a user, get involved?
          You can:

        a)
               ask your administrator to join, or
        b)
               obtain an account with an ISP that already belongs, or
        c)
               obtain an account at a news service, such as newsguy.com,
               which belongs.

   How do I, as an administrator, get involved?
          If you've set up your site and have an outgoing feed post to
          [9]net.config.feed-requests, or find a feed through Jeff
          Fisher's site list at [10]usenet2.ies-energy.com. (We had a
          mail-news gateway for net.config.feed-requests, but we've
          closed it down because people were spamming Usenet II through
          it) You can get details on how to set up your news server in
          [11]details.txt. The INN patch mentioned is in
          [12]inn.remembertrash.patch.txt.

   [13]What are we doing about junk email?
          Some suggestions for staying Usenet II compliant without losing
          your mailbox to that wretched hive of scum and villainy we all
          know and love. The best hope right now is of course [14]CAUCE.

                               Administrivia

   The current Usenet II public key will always be available in
   [15]control@usenet2.org.asc.

   These pages and the Usenet II logo are C 1997 the Usenet II steering
   committee.

   This page was last changed Wed Nov 18 09:44:58 CST 1998

   [16]About this webserver

              [17]Powered by FreeBSD   [18]Powered by Apache
,,^_^,, Lynx Friendly!

     For questions or comments about the web pages, please send mail to
                           webmaster@taronga.com.
    For comments on Usenet II, send them to [19]the steering committee.

## CrossPoint v3.11 ##