[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Are states exempt from patent law?
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Are states exempt from patent law?
- From: Kristian Köhntopp <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:15:51 +0200
- Comment: This message comes from the debate mailing list.
- Organization: SH Online Dienst GmbH
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
States' Rights Split Evident at
Kennedy's the key in bid to stop infringement
By Kenneth Jost
The Recorder/Cal Law
Wednesday, April 21, 1999
WASHINGTON -- Business interests clashed
with states' rights in a pair of U.S. Supreme Court
cases Tuesday testing whether state-operated
commercial enterprises can be sued in federal
court for patent infringement or false advertising.
The justices appeared to be divided along normal
ideological lines as they struggled to apply
constitutional principles written 200 years ago to
the modern world of state-run businesses and
laboratories that engage increasingly in
competition with those in the private sector.
Kristian Köhntopp, NetUSE Kommunikationstechnologie GmbH
Siemenswall, D-24107 Kiel, Germany, +49 431 386 436 00
Using PHP3? See our web development library at