[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Cox report imperils crypto bills, White House sa

[Fast troestlich zu wissen, dass etliche US-Parlamentarier offenbar
auch nicht wesentlich wissender sind als unsere Polit-Elite.  -AHH]

Date:          Tue, 25 May 1999 15:22:50 -0400
To:            politech@vorlon.mit.edu
From:          Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:       FC: Cox report imperils crypto bills, White House says

The combination of legislators and the Internet is a dangerous one.
It's dangerous for those of us who use the Internet because we get bad
laws. It's dangerous for the Congresscritter because he looks stupid.

-Declan

******

http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/19864.html

                     Spy Report Imperils Crypto Bills
                     by Declan McCullagh

                     12:00 p.m.  25.May.99.PDT
                     WASHINGTON -- A new congressional
                     report claiming widespread technological
                     espionage by China will thwart any
                     changes to US encryption rules in the
                     near future, a top White House official
                     predicted Tuesday.

                     [...snip...]

                     Boucher said he also wanted to stop Web
                     sites from surreptitiously placing cookies
                     -- small data files used by Web sites to
                     track visitors -- on consumers' hard
                     drives. He said he had a bad experience
                     after enabling cookies and having his
                     browser repeatedly ask him for permission
                     to accept them.

                     "It really intimidates me. I clicked that
                     back on," said Boucher, a member of the
                     key Commerce and Judiciary committees.