[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Privacy self-regulation and the Emperor's New Cl

Date:          Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:32:46 -0400
To:            politech@vorlon.mit.edu
From:          Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:       FC: Privacy self-regulation and the Emperor's New Clothes

[It is tempting to be drawn into the debate over whether privacy
"self-regulation" (a misnomer: it's not self-regulation if government
officials are threatening to screw you over if you don't do what they
want) is working or not. But that's asking the wrong question. A
better one is why the government should step in and stifle a vibrant
Internet marketplace wherein some sites say they will never give out
your personal info and others say they may in exchange for lower
prices or other benefits. Companies can experiment with what works
best, and consumers will patronize the sites where they feel most
comfortable. Sounds good to me. But folks like Marc -- able advocates,
to be sure -- want the Feds to impose a one-size-fits all regulation
and deny consumers this choice. --Declan]

*********