[ICANN-EU] Re: questions for candidates (sent again to the list)

I fully agree with this. Actually the Trade Mark issue is quite absurd
since nobody came with a final description of a domain name, both
its nature and how to determine what it is, even in the  DNS (2nd or
3rd level depending on the TLD (top like .com) or ULD (upper like
.com.fr). All the more than domain names are attached to DNS ie an
application permitting to handle IP addresses through mnemonics.
But there are many other ways to remember IP addresses.

The only thing I know is that Trade marks come through classes.
There is a class for online services. Only the one having registered
in every country a trade mark for that class can seriously rise a
claim. All the other ones are misconception of the law, of the logic
of common sense.

But beware that soon, and already now, DNs are usedin other
areas than internet (CD names, company names, etc...): where
are we? WIPO says: DNs are the same as other strings when
you have removed the TLD. No special treatment granted,
but many asked. BTW it means that TLDs are public domain.

I have a very simple rule. Let suppose there is a TLD ".hate" for
everything you do not like. If someone is ready to claim a Trade
Mark in that TLD, there is probably a good case. Otherwise there
is not. But there are plenty of people having poorly protected their
trade mark in regard of future events like the internet. This is not
the problem of the internet and not to be at the disadvantage of
those who made their job correctly.