Re: [ICANN-EU] Seven candidates cap

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 09:13:28 +0200,
Thomas Roessler <roessler@does-not-exist.org> wrote:
[...]
> This is indeed interesting.  In particular, I'm asking myself why it
> wasn't possible for the nomcom candidates to just run for member
> nomination.

because it would open up the possibility of "the industry" losing control?

i think that TPTB at ICANN (at least parts of) were and still are quite
surprised by the amount of (public) interest in the at-large membership
and they're trying to do some damage control on an issue that was supposed
to be lip-service, and never a chance for the public to gain any real
influence.

of course, due to the success of the at-large membership, public scrutiny
by now is quite high. so they can't just nuke the at-large approach, but
they have to play it cool and try to pull the wool over the publics eyes
before axing "outside" influence.

mi "insert your favourite conspiracy theory here" ke

--
Thomas 'Mike' Michlmayr  | ignorami: n: The BOFH art of folding problem
<mike+sig@cluon.priv.at> |           lusers into representational shapes.

PGP signature