[ICANN-EU] Re: [icann-candidates] Update to my ICANN Profile and Platform for Election

In a message dated 9/1/00 4:25:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, karl@cavebear.com
writes:

> > I strongly think that the role of ICANN and other entities responsible
for
>  > development, monitoring and support of the Internet must include the
>  > following:
>
>  I'd suggest that while these things are all good and worthy what you are
>  proposing appear to represent a substantial expansion of ICANN's role.
>
>       --karl--

Not really, Karl. If you read carefully, I said, "the role of ICANN and other
entities development, monitoring and support of the Internet"

Which I define later as in the my mail as: "ISPs, registrars, large sites,
companies and organizations ..., government agencies, standards setting and
technical sources such as InterNIC, IANA, IETF, W3C, et al. and indirectly
labor, consultants, lawyers, and accountants through their employers or
clients."

And it is also so described on my ICANN profile.

>From ICANN's website itself, please see
<A HREF="http://www.icann.org/general/icann-org-chart_frame.htm">
the ICANN Org Chart</A>

>From the HISTORY OF ICANN:

"The U.S. Department of Commerce [DOC] recognized ICANN -- the corporation
proposed by Dr. Jon Postel in September, 1998 -- in a Memorandum of
Understanding/Joint Project Agreement dated November 25, 1998. With regard to
membership, the MOU specified that ICANN and DOC would,

"8. COLLABORATE ON THE DESIGN, DEVELOPMENT, AND TESTING OF APPROPRIATE
MEMBERSHIP MECHANISMS THAT FOSTER ACCOUNTABILITY TO AND REPRESENTATION OF THE
GLOBAL AND FUNCTIONAL DIVERSITY OF THE INTERNET AND ITS USERS, WITHIN THE
STRUCTURE OF THE PRIVATE-SECTOR DNS MANAGEMENT ORGANIZATION."

"The ICANN Bylaws provide for FOUR main organizational units having
membership attributes.

Three of the units are named "Supporting Organizations" (SO) and are designed
to provide specific mechanisms for the participation of business and
technical interests in the policy development and consensus mechanisms of
ICANN.

The SO's include WWW Consortium, IETF,  International Telecomm Union,
European Telecommunication Standards Institute, ARIN, RIPE, NCC, APNIC,
Business representatives, organizations that have been delegated
administration of non-Commercial, cc and g TLDs, ISPs, commercial registrars,
intellectual property folks (patent, trademark, copyrights, etc.), then

"The fourth is an At Large membership designed to ensure adequate
representation,
on a worldwide basis, of the interests of Internet users that are affected by
ICANN's technical-management activities.

Also,:

"The Board adopted four general principles to guide the creation of an At
Large membership for ICANN:

1. "Members" should be individuals, and only "members" should vote for At
Large Directors.
2.  The election process for At Large Directors should take place in stages,
to allow for adjustments in the process based on experience.
3.  At Large Directors should be geographically diverse and broadly
representative of the Internet user community," The fourth is self-funding
which was later taken up by Markle Foundation's <A
HREF="http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-1425922.html?tag=st.cn.1">$1
million for Net governance</A>.

The above does not even include a number of "advisory groups."

If such an ICANN, with U.S. President's Executive Order, Dept. of Commerce's
role, the supporting organizations, the funding sources, the advisory groups,
and its defined role will not aim for and shape the Internet as I defined it,
who would?

Please also note the role of ICANN@large as representing "individuals" not
involved in technical-management capacity as the rest of the ICANN!

Best Regards,
<A HREF="www.indiasamaj.com/subhash.htm">Subhash Gupta</A>
Info Technology & Business Process Engg.
<A HREF="www.indiasamaj.com">AsiaSamaj</A> and <A
HREF="http://indiasamaj.com/">IndiaSamaj</A>  - South Asian & Asian Indian
Portals