Re: [ICANN-EU] .EU

The European digital divide!

At 13:27 30/09/00, Andreas wrote:
>Dear Jeanette:
> >> I support the resolution adopted at the ICANN Board meeting on 25
> >> September 2000:
> >I don't care very much about .EU personally. I've never quite
> >understood what about this special TLD is so very important.
>The TLD .eu means a lot on the political floor.
>So far the EU is a comercial union, on its way, sorry Denmark :-(
>to a currency union, etc.

And the UK, and Greece, and may be others to come.
ISO though ".eu" would be for Euro. That was sensible.

>It certainly lacks among other things political power, social unity and
>an identity. With the growing importance of the internet the TLD
>.eu is a statement towards importance of the European Union.
>See it as an additional symbol, maybe the equivillant of a flag.

yeap. I will be allowed to register "jefsey.com.fr.eu".

> >What I do care about, however, is the TLD's names policy.
> >If we need .EU in the first place it should be open for all Europeans.
> >Isn't it rediculous that non-EU members such as Switzerland have to
> >go begging for admission?
>Please do not mix the geographic area of Europe with the entity called
>European Union.
>Switzerland is not part of the European Union by choice!
>One cannot choose to stay out of any union because of the member duties
>and at the same time request the member benefits.

There are many European instituations Switzerland, Poland, Russia
are members of. You confuse money and politics which means that
ISO was right in considering  ".eu" for Euro.

Let accept that ".eu" was ill chosen by a Brussels clark. That no
democratic or professionnal process was carried in chosing it,
that we will have to leave with it, that it will be mostly used as a
counterpart to ".gov"and that ".eec" would have been better chosen
to that end. Anyway we know we will spend a lot of money to make
it a success (cf. Oliver Muron's mail: to discuss ".eu" they gather 40
people in Brussels from now and then and send 20 in Yokohama.

Jeannette you looked for a financing of your ICANN support: make
yourself appointed as an ".eu" expert/lobbyist  in Brussels.

Jefsey