Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: .EU

Marc,

You wrote:

>I cannot see, that this is useful. Bussinesses are either local/national
>and will not need a .eu name then, or global, and in that case better use
>a .com if they are going to compete. What companies only target the
>European market?? Or, though you don't mention them, what organizations? I
>think .eu will mainly mean duplication of existing names and some names
>for a few lucky people, who were too late for their name in .com or their
>country ccTLD.

You may be right, time will tell.
I think it is an opportunity.
Of course, the value may be, at least in the beginning, more "political"
than economical, but it all depends on what the rules for registration will
be, what is the importance of characterising enterprises as "european"
rather than "global" or "national", and a lot of other factors.

>OK, it is a flag. Fine with me. Not useless, a flag, but rather limited in
>use.
>
>In which you say only that there should be no conflict with ISO-3166... I
>can see that point :-)

Not really "only no conflict".
In http://www.icann.org/cgi-bin/mbx/rpgmessage.cgi?newtlds;3968A0B80000048B
I wrote:

********
I would suggeest that the delegation of "TLDs defined by some geographic
region, but not qualifying as ccTLDs under current policies", as possibility
envisaged in the document, be done only subject to acceptance (or at least
no objection) by ISO-3166/MA to the use of the string a TLD.
********

The key is approval for use (or no objection against use) as TLD.
This was the only possible compromise, IMHO, between the need to limit
proliferation of ccTLDs (ISO could add codes in the reserved list for
whatever reason in the future, and IANA is not keen to feel obliged to
delegate a ccTLD for each of them) and the "political" push of the
Commission, justified also by other "exceptions" (some existing ccTLDs do
not have a "proper" corresponding ISO3166-1 code, just an entry in the
reserved list).
In other words, ICANN had what they wanted (not to have to make a decision
of merit on a ccTLD), and the EU as well (since ISO OKed already).

>Sure, some rules are followed alright. Still it feels like,
>... wrong. There is no territory, no people, ...

Count me as a person under .eu.
I personally feel more "european" than belonging to one of the legacy
countries ;>)

>Since TLDs can be very profitable, this is not only a matter of
>principles. Or am I too suspicious?

In these matters, you can *never* be too suspicious.
It all depends on the structure of the TLD, the rules for SLDs, who will be
in charge (maybe the EU should think of a non-profit as Registry), and so
on.
My bet is that the rules will be restrictive, at least in the beginning
(companies registered in Europe, for instance, or SLDs like .co.eu, .ed.eu,
...), maybe they see Nominet as a model, who knows?

>Thanks again for clarifying!

You're welcome.

Regards
Roberto