[icann-eu] Does the ICANN legally exist (this is not a joke)?

Gentlemen,
I asked a complex legal question to Louis Touton three days ago without
response yet. I suppose I may now publicly post it on different lists as it
interests the laws the whole world.

The question is to lawyers from every country:

"ICANN being a no member corporation, does ICANN exist according the laws
of your country and if not may a corporation of your country enter into
legally valid relations with it?"

I would like to build a table indicating the countries where relations are
no problem, the countries where relation are not possible (if any) and the
countries where this is grey area. I will publish that table.

Thank you for your cooperation on this interesting issue.
Jefsey

PS. Consequences and suggestion

Would even a limited number of countries be unable to legally relate (pay a
donation, pay a bill, sign a service agreemnt, justify travel expenses to
attend ICANN meetings, etc...) ICANN should have Members. It would be no
use to seek legal waivers from the local governements since these waivers
could be challenged in the USA according to the local standard laws.

I though about the consequences of such an obligation and found that we may
now (after two years of maturation under the ICANN and after the positions
taken in MDR) find a very simple and easy solution, fully respecting what
the ICANN tries to achieve and responding to most of the questions risen
for a few weeks. It also happens that all the lay people I explained it to
though it was the existing situation.

This solution :

1. does not change anything in the ICANN organization
2. fully responds to the charter of the ICANN as an international consortium
3. insures the unicity and the protection of the root system while
permitting the dissemination of root servers systems
4. fully addresses the ccTLDs demands
5. fully addresses the @large concerns
6. maintains the same involvement of the GAC, protects the US rights while
clearly showing the privatization of the Internet is irreversible
7. does not require any important review of the bylaws allowing to delay
them until the end of the @large study, in order to have a global reshape -
based upon study and experience - towards a stable and string ICANN

It simply consists in accepting that the root is the directory of the ICANN
Members where cc/gTLDs represent the @large community they serve. What most
of the people think it does.

This means that the ccTLDs would form the ICANN/GA:
-  the ICANN would be the organization they desire with as many WG they wish
-  they would pay a flat yearly Membership fee voted by them through the
ICANN/GA as part of the ICANN budget
-  their MDR unanimously voted contract would become the ICANN Membership
agreement
-  their MDR Best Practices would be the Member's Charter.
-  the SSRAC and CRADA would de facto become associated to TLDs as part of
the ICANN/GA
-  the root ownership would this way become common property of its true
stakeholders and real owners the users.

With the following advantage for stability:
-  ccTLD management assignment would be protected: reassignment would
consist in GA voting the exclusion of a Member and accepting a new Member
with the approaval of its government (if a member of the GAC). A public and
a decision among peers.
-  the private nature of the Internet would be demonstrated
-  its democratic bottom-up nature would be made plain: ccTLDs legitimacy
would clearly come from their Local Internet Community and ICANN's
legitimacy from the ccTLDs, i.e. indirectly from the users.
-  there could be several temporary root server systems implemented (one or
more per area) to provide better root stability under SSRAC control,
without fear for the root integrity. This would give time to devise a DNS
upgrade.

This also means that:
-  no other change of any kind would be necessary in the current bylaws and
SO organization
-  in accordance to their Best Practice and to heir own benefit the ccTLDs
would promote the development of their @large community
-  the ccTLDs being involved in every aspects of the ICANN activity and
forming the ICANN Membership, each SOs representation at the BoD should
include one ccTLD.
-  the equilibrium within the BoD between SO's Directors and @large
Directors would be natural since legitimacy would come from a developped
@large community (probably made of the free members of the local NICs) and
would correspond to an "ownership" by the real market which would allow
better relations with established similar services like Telcos.
-  there would be no problem at having @large Directors and @large NICs
Directors directly elected (NICs @large Directors providing a simple and
open way for good relations with their community and a natural selection
process towards the election to the BoD of informed and commited persons).

I am no lawyer but it seems that the current agreement with the USG would
remain quite unaffected and satisfied by a fair, democratic and realistic
solution. The USG would remain the signatoree of the CRADA and could accept
other co-signatorees among GAC and ccTLDs, still controlling this way the
stability of the system.

I would suggest that the "million" of TLDs explained by the Board to the
GAC would be competitively registered through the ccTLDs  (the bylaws call
for such a competition and some ccTLDs could be cheaper than $ 50.000 :-)
!!! ) .

Individual Domain holders would probably represent the natural backbone of
the local communities with the ISP should also accepted as a DSO community.

I note that such an approach would accept the present Chinese evolution
while maintaining the coherence and the political stability of an ICANN
became the Internet "common house".