[atlarge-discuss] Re: Preamble / Mission Statement

On Sat, 11 May 2002 02:18:06 -0400, you wrote:

>One small emendation within[]:
>
>"...the ICANNAtLarge.com Membership is dedicated to a bottom-up,
>transparent and accountable initiative towards the achievement [and
>maintenance] of meaningful and direct participation in ICANN policy
>making."

This is the original proposal by Cecily Wood, incorporating some
amendments I proposed back in February, and reorganized a little to
make it clearer. Though I wrote a part of it, I don't necessarily
agree with 100% of it - this is just a contribution to the debate.

-----
Article II: Purpose

This non-profit organisation is the collective voice of the individual
users of the Internet and World Wide Web. Its mission is:

1) To monitor and advise on the technical administration of the
internet to make certain that the needs and rights of all users,
independently from their country, language, race, sex, social status
and wealth, are not abrogated by technical, business, military and
government interests;

2) To ensure that the social costs of the technical administration of
the Internet are not detrimental, but enabling, and are fairly
supported by those making a business of it;

3) To promote, support and exploit those advances in the Internet
technical and organizational structure that benefit all individuals;

4) To defend the personal freedom of the individual users of the
Internet and prevent any restricted group, political entity or
business interest from controlling the Internet itself.

This will be practically accomplished by participating to the process
of administration of the Internet by the following means:

A) This organisation is to serve as the At Large component of the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), and will
elect the At Large Directors to ICANN’s Board.

B) In the event of an ICANN reorganisation, this organisation is to
work toward preserving an end user function in ICANN, and serve as the
end user component of ICANN’s replacement.

C) As the world-wide collective voice of all internet users, this
organisation may also decide to extend its efforts beyond ICANN.
-----

Now, there are two fundamental issues that we need to debate before
actually formalizing a statement:

1) Do we think we are the *only* user organization to be formally
recognized in ICANN (ie we want to act as "At Large SO"), or do we
want to be just one of many "user forums" that ICANN will use to gain
input from?

Cecily's draft goes for the first option. Sotiris's one, as far as I
understand, goes for the second.

2) Do we want to exist specifically as an ICANN-related organization,
or as a more general purpose Internet users organization?

Also in this, Sotiris's statement is strictly related to ICANN, while
Cecily's one is broader, though (and I really like this) it combines a
first part made of general statements with a second one that states
relationships with ICANN and/or what to do if ICANN is restructured or
replaced.

Personally, I would go for the first ("SO") option in issue #1, and
for a half-way solution in #2, as the one drafted by Cecily, maybe
lowering down the tone a little and making it clearer that we just aim
to be practically participating in ICANN, and not to be ruling the
world :-)

Comments?
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220

DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE: This communication is intended only for use by the
addressee. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
Transmission, distribution and/or copy cannot be permitted. Please notify
immediately the sender by replying if you are not the intended recipient.