[atlarge-discuss] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

Michael and all,

  Good questions here Michael.  One has to wonder as I stated
earlier.  One sure does hear and read some strange and weird things
coming out ot the ISOC over the past few months to be sure...

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:

> Don, it would be helpful if you could set me straight - one hears so many
> weird things these days.
>
> I've been told that ISOC just rewrote it rules so that individual members
> no longer vote to elect directors, and the voting rights are for sale to
> corporate conributors.
>
> That's false, right?  ISOC is still a members' organization, not
> controled/controllable by a trade group, isn't it?
>
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Don Heath wrote:
>
> > At 07:58 PM 6/3/02 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
> > >At any rate, Given ISOC's status as a quasi-commercial
> > >trade association, I would think it could not stand on its own
> > >in this competition; it would need support from other
> > >organizations. Let's see what happens.
> >
> > Sorry.  We're not at all a "quasi-commercial trade association."  ISOC is a
> > 501c3 non profit international organization and has a long record of
> > anything but a commercial trade organization.  But then, I suspect you
> > really do know that.
> >
> > Don

> --
>                 Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
> A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin@law.tm
> U. Miami School of Law, P.O. Box 248087, Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA
> +1 (305) 284-4285  |  +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)  |  http://www.law.tm
>                         -->It's hot here.<--

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827