Re: [atlarge-discuss] bucharest meeting

Ron,

I have always been a strong advocate of face to face meetings.  I am in
fact on
the road
half of my life to accomplish face to face meetings.

But if my company only had enough money to buy a server we needed or to
send me
Bucharest I would buy the server.  As it is they only have enough to
send me to
eight destinations
in Asia, and I only have enough time to be one place at a time.

Now with that said if attending a meeting rather than buying a server
would
result in enough
income to buy ten servers I would go to Bucharest.  I am simply trying
to make
the priorities
clear.  If someone like, oh say Joop asked you for money to attend
wouldn't you
want a
specific agenda and an objective - not schmoozing.  If the org was set
up to
take money I would rather
give him the same money to run elections and the site for two months.
If I were
Jamie I would spend
the money to hire a hot new young lawyer and draft the best voting
rules,
by-laws and articles and open
an account.

The next point I want to be real clear on is mandate and personal
agendas and
mission creep.
We have not elected any "representatives".  The panel has not elected
any
representatives.
Anyone attending Bucharest and indicating a right to represent this
group would
be lying.

Sorry Ron but given the history of attempted and experimental "internet
governance"
it requires that these lines not be blurred or there is no reason for an
at-large.
A great example is Karl's integrity in not claiming to represent ICANN.
A good
example in the
negative is Sims seamless floating about that he does.

This may seem not very nice but clearly the devil is in the details.

Eric