Re: [atlarge-discuss] bucharest meeting

Eric and all stakeholders or interested parties,

eric@hi-tek.com wrote:

> Ron,
>
> I have always been a strong advocate of face to face meetings.  I am in
> fact on
> the road
> half of my life to accomplish face to face meetings.

  This is of course totally unnecessary with Internet Video conferencing,
which makes face to face meetings much less travel intensive...

> But if my company only had enough money to buy a server we needed or to
> send me
> Bucharest I would buy the server.  As it is they only have enough to
> send me to
> eight destinations
> in Asia, and I only have enough time to be one place at a time.

  Sounds like you need a staff or assistant.  BTW, didn't you get
and executive assistant just a few months ago?

> Now with that said if attending a meeting rather than buying a server
> would
> result in enough
> income to buy ten servers I would go to Bucharest.  I am simply trying
> to make
> the priorities
> clear.  If someone like, oh say Joop asked you for money to attend
> wouldn't you
> want a
> specific agenda and an objective - not schmoozing.  If the org was set
> up to
> take money I would rather
> give him the same money to run elections and the site for two months.

  With some 35k+ registrations as say $5.00 per, it would along with the
$5m that goes along with whomever gets the bid, that the gaining new
registry will be making a nice piece of change...

> If I were
> Jamie I would spend
> the money to hire a hot new young lawyer and draft the best voting
> rules,
> by-laws and articles and open
> an account.

  As I made note of some time ago, I already set up an account for
ICANNATLARGE.COM.  It is a matter of getting the necessary
legal work done and registered and a CFO determined that is left
to be done...

> The next point I want to be real clear on is mandate and personal
> agendas and
> mission creep.
> We have not elected any "representatives".  The panel has not elected
> any
> representatives.
> Anyone attending Bucharest and indicating a right to represent this
> group would
> be lying.

  Good point here.  This would cast a huge shadow of discontent and
doubt upon the legitimacy on ICANNATLARGE.COM should the
"Panel" attempt to represent the ICANNATLARGE.COM members
as their representatives.

> Sorry Ron but given the history of attempted and experimental "internet
> governance"
> it requires that these lines not be blurred or there is no reason for an
> at-large.
> A great example is Karl's integrity in not claiming to represent ICANN.
> A good
> example in the
> negative is Sims seamless floating about that he does.
>
> This may seem not very nice but clearly the devil is in the details.

  Indeed quite true.