[atlarge-discuss] Re: FC: ICANN attorney replies to Politech post on "self-regulation's end"

Declan and all,

  Of course, many of us that have been around for awhile, like myself,
recognize that old Joe had to put some sort of spin on this.  That's
what he gets paid to do after all, and handsomely to boot.  Hence
giving his comments of this nature much credence or consideration
would be a huge mistake or at least quite misleading...  Same Ding-Dong,
Sing-Song...

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Previous Politech message:
>
> "Michael Geist on ICANN, Congress, end of 'self-regulation'"
> http://www.politechbot.com/p-03653.html
>
> Joe Sims is ICANN's chief outside counsel.
>
> -Declan
>
> ---
>
> To: declan@well.com
> Subject: Michael Geist's column
> From: "Joe Sims" <jsims@JonesDay.com>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:03:28 -0400
>
> Of course, Geist has it all wrong.  I hope you will consider publishing
> this response.
>
> The notion that not enough happens at ICANN in public, and that the answer
> to ICANN's problems is more transparency, illustrates a profound lack of
> understanding about what ICANN really does, and how it really does
> it.  Prof. Geist is not the only one that doesn't get it, but since he has
> the ability to publish columns, it is probably worth while trying to
> correct his misunderstanding.
>
> Contrary to Prof. Geist's assertions, ICANN is not a self-regulatory
> body.  It was never intended to be a self-regulatory body.  It was intended
> to be a forum for the possible discovery of consensus solutions to global
> issues related to the DNS -- a way, quite frankly, for national governments
> to find a place for the resolution of global DNS issues that did not
> require a new treaty organization.  It is true that its original structure
> called for half its Board to be selected by a general At Large membership
> of some kind, but that was certainly not the consensus view of the Internet
> community at that time.  Prof. Geist, having not been part of the
> discussions with the US Government that produced that construction, is
> undoubtedly unaware of the fact that no one involved in that decision, and
> I include those in the US Government (feel free to ask them) was convinced
> that such an approach was really workable.  The ICANN organizers wanted to
> insert the words "if feasible;" the US Government position at the time, for
> reasons I leave to the reader to imagine, was "we'll figure out how to do
> it later."  The then brand-new Board of ICANN, without the assistence of
> Jon Postel who had died a month earlier, acquiesced to this position,
> notwithstanding a quite clear concern that it might not be possible to make
> it work.  In hindsight, I am quite sure most regret this decision.
>
> We now have almost 4 years of experience by which to test the concepts on
> which the original construction rested, and we actually know some things
> that we did not know then.  We know that the notion of global on-line
> elections is fraught with problems that are too complicated for ICANN to be
> on the bleeding edge on innovation in this area.  We know that there is no
> consensus in the ICANN community on exactly how the public interest should
> be represented in ICANN's structure, notwithstanding the insistence of
> those like Prof. Geist that there is only one possible solution.  We know
> [...]

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827