Re: [atlarge-discuss] news from bucharest: at large exists again

Jamie observes that the proposed at-large advisory council (ALAC) is
not "the public selecting their own representatives."  I would like to
point out the complexity and subtlety of this goal.

Consider, first, the question as to who constitutes the relevant
public.  Surely, it should not be limited to those who are already
involved in the ICANN process or other internet related organizations
and activities.  The public at large includes not only all internet
users, but also those who are not currently users.  Indeed, one of the
most relevant "publics" is those persons who do not have access to the
internet because of the digital divide.

Consider, second, the difficulty of conducting a direct electoral
process that facilitates meaningful participation by the whole of the
various relevant "publics."  Any opt-in online election is likely to be
substantially skewed towards persons who are members of groups, firms,
organizations, and other structures who are involved with the internet
in some formal way.  Yet such groups are already represented in a
variety of ways in the ICANN process.  Even national elections suffer
from signficant legitimacy problems because of low levels of
participation; such problems will be multiplied by several orders of
magnitude in any foreseeable direct online election of
representatives.  Moreover, election processes are subject to capture
and corruption in a variety of forms.

Consider, third, the ways in which intermediate organizations, such as
consumer groups, professional associations, civil liberties and civil
rights groups, and a variety of civil society entitities do
meaningfully represent very large numbers of persons with respect to
public interests that are implicated in decisions made by ICANN.

Consider, fourth, the inherent problem of collective action that is at
the heart of the at-large problem.  The very idea of at-large is
defined by way of contrast to those special interests that are able to
solve the collective action problem.  Registrars, registries,
intellectual property organizations, and so forth--these constituencies
have the kind of stake in the coutcome of the ICANN process that
enables them to overcome the collective action problem.  The "public at
large" is, in a real and meaningful sense, the group that cannot
overcome collective action problems.  Why not?  First, because the
interests of individual internet users or individual domain holders is
not sufficiently concentrated to justify significant individual
resource exepditures on influencing the ICANN process.  Second, the
transaction costs for this group to organize and share the costs of
influence preclude a collective action solution.

Consider, fifth, the interaction between the third and fourth
observations.  Intermediate groups represent a special opportunity to
overcome collective action problems.  Such groups are already organized
and frequently have relationships with one another for coordinating
activities.

What are the implications of these considerations for the question as
to whether the proposed ALAC could in some meaningful way contribute to
representation of the public interest within the ICANN process?
Perhaps one implication is that at-large organizing efforts should not
be exclusively focused on direct democratic input into the ICANN
process.  Intermediary organizations may have an important and useful
role to play.

Lawrence Solum