[atlarge-discuss] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Robert Shaw's 24 June note on GAC meeting

Jamie and all,

  Bob should have been subscribed to the ICANN Announce list.
If he or andy of the other GAC members were they would and should
not have been surprised at the Blueprint from ICANN as it was
posted to the ICANN announce list on June 20th.  Predecessor
documents were posted starting on May 6th...

James Love wrote:

>  From Robert Shaw's weblog
>
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0108486/

> NN GAC Meeting in Bucharest
>
> Bret Fausett, notes today in his [icann.blog.us], that the GAC "met all day
> in closed session" and "even the ICANN Board members are not allowed to
> attend most of the GAC meetings". That's entirely correct and, as a
> participant in the GAC here in Bucharest, even if I may not agree with this
> policy, I have to respect the GAC operating procedures. That said, I think
> it's reasonable to give some general gist of the meeting. First, it's clear
> that the majority of GAC participants were extremely surprised to have to
> suddenly digest ICANN's Blueprint for Reform, released on June 20th. As most
> of the delegates had not even seen this document yet, the meeting had to be
> almost immediately suspended for an hour to allow everyone to read this
> document which contains some very substantive changes from earlier drafts.
> Afterwards, we had a session with Stuart Lynn and Alejandro Pisanty, who
> when directly asked, indicated that their expectations were that this basic
> Blueprint, perhaps with some changes based on conversations during the week,
> be adopted by the Board at the end of the week in Bucharest. I, for one, was
> immediately struck how this seemed to contradict the statement in the
> Blueprint that the "GAC should receive adequate notice and an opportunity to
> comment on all ICANN policy decisions before they are taken" as well as the
> existing provisions in the ICANN Bylaws that "The Board will notify the
> chairman of the Governmental Advisory Committee of any proposal for which it
> seeks comments under Article III, Section 3(b) and will consider any
> response to that notification prior to taking action."
>   11:41:18
>
> --
> ------
> James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
> http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love@cptech.org
> voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827