[atlarge-discuss] RE: Mission Statement

Hello Wolfgang,

We do NOT need a Mission that ensures no At Large organization can exist
unless ICANN is running the show, which is exactly what your Statement seeks
to establish and rush through prior to the election of the new Executive.
I'm not buying it, sorry.

You would have the At Large effort, the only one that accepts individual
members that ICANN recognizes, focused exclusively on working inside a
collapsed corporation that is undergoing a radical make-over, whose exact
form is not yet known, and you would have us trust the same people who
failed at the same job first time round to determine our place in the
overall scheme of things, and in the meantime, we'll all just give up our
rights to vote, lie down and die. Does that really sound like a good Mission
to you?

Work inside ICANN if you must, but do not throw all individual At largers
into a common future with a collapsed US corporation that is struggling to
reinvent itself in credible form. There are many here whose aim is much
higher, and do not see very much of ICANN in their future, if any at all.

Personally, I want a mission statement that at least talks about fostering
the means to return benefits derived from the internet to the public at
large, something that ICANN will never address, even though it is the reason
for its very existence.

There are numerous public interest organizations throughout the world from
which to draw charters and mission statements. It is written already - stop
making it up - go and find it in proven organizations with generations of
experience on which to draw - the Red Cross - the BBC and the like - what we
do not need is more ICANN doublespeak - what we do need is an At large built
on a foundation of solid principles that all members can agree will *protect
the public interest in the internet*, regardless of which jerks are running
the show.

Regards,
Joanna

P.S. I wouldn't be pushing the word "ICANN" into every sentence, since a
makeover is about the only way left for Mary Hewitt to limit the damage
mounting on her desk from bad press - so you might want to rephrase that as
the Ministry of Internet Stability and Security in due course, or something
suitably Orwellian anyway.