Re: [atlarge-discuss] My choices for a leadership team

While I see the logic of Jeff's position, I believe that the resort to
Congress is a huge strategic mistake from the point of view of advocates of
"At Large" participation in internet governance.

If the at-large constituency successfully gets Congress focused on internet
governance issues, it is unlikely that the outcome will be a happy one.
Congress responds primarily to organized interest-group pressures, and the
at-large constituency is unlikely to fare well in the competition for
influence on congressional processes.

If the United States Congress fully realized the leverage it has on internet
governance issues, there are many possible unhappy outcomes.  I won't recide
the parade of horribles--they are obvious.

On the larger issue, there is not question but that diversity of global
representation is an important value in any at-large organization.  We are
swimming against the tide when we seek recognition as a representative of a
broad global constituency.  Leadership that is parochial will only make the
effort to gain legitimacy.
Lawrence B. Solum
Professor of Law
Loyola Law School