RE: [atlarge-discuss] My choices for a leadership team

Again, another general reply to this thread:

I agree with the non-American sentiment that too much US Government
involvement in ICANN is a bad thing.  Particularly since our government over
the past few years has shifted its forcus away from consumer protection, and
more often than not sides with the moneyed interests at our expense!  So
they wouldn't be my first choice when looking for an entity to look after
our best interests!

However, ICANN is broken.  At the moment, the US Government, specifically
the DoC, is the only entity in a position to compel their reform.  And the
DoC, indeed any USG agency, is always sensitive to the will of Congress if
they don't want their funding cut or their job voted out of existance!  So I
agree with Joanna, Jeff and others calling for congressional involvement.
To that end, I recently wrote a somewhat-lengthy letter to Senator Ron
Wyden, from here in Oregon, who just happens to chair the Senate Science,
Technology and Space subcommittee, with oversight authority over ICANN, and
outlined the whole At Large issue.  I specifically mentioned the concerns of
our international members as voiced regularly in this forum.  When he
responds, I'll post his reply here.

I challenge all US members here to write their Senators as well, and ask
them to pressure the DoC to mandate At Large representation on the ICANN
board.  If you also wish to write Senator Wyden, make sure you make it clear
that you are addressing him in his capacity as subcommittee chairman.  His
address is:

Senator Ron Wyden
516 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
(202) 224-5244

If you are an Oregon resident, his Web address for e-mail comments is:

http://www.senate.gov/~wyden/mail.htm

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info