[atlarge-discuss] Sorry, I must decline

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, at 00:22 [=GMT+0200], icannatlarge.com election wrote:

> You have been nominated for the icannatlarge.com panel.

> Please send an email (CC atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de)
> and either ACCEPT or DECLINE this nomination.

Tonight I have decided that I must decline the nomination, and not
merely for lack of time. I am by now convinced that hours spend
_within_ the ICANN process are wasted, most probably.

Though I am unsure how internet governance can find shapes that
contain guarentees (or at least possibilities) for the safeguarding of
the interests of all internet people, alongside ICANN, apart from it,
and if necessary against or without it, I have no other option, simply
for lack of faith in the present endeavour, than to say: I cannot
help.

Although I have never, I think, felt a dogmatic need to clutch to
worldwide direct elections as the only way to give ICANN legitimacy, I
cannot engage actively in any organization or group any longer, unless
it is clear about the complete lack of this legitimacy in the new
ICANN as envisaged by its present Board.

I feel the way to get out of the situation we are now stuck in, is not
playing the AtLarge game of the present Board, especially since the
rules of the game are not clear from the start, and are unilaterally
determined by those that, in majority, are against user influence.
Participating in at-large.org will only breed frustration. At least
for me.

I have been considering to suggest or help starting up something
rather different, an organization that can operate from a position of
strength, and, if needed, go against ICANN. That is clear about that
option from the start. That will not refuse to communicate with ICANN,
but will deny ICANN the right to tell internet users where they can
play and where not, what they can play and what not. A consumer
organization, since ICANN is more and more just protecting those who
make money from the Net, and managing a cartel, so we cannot vote with
our money. But I do not like this perspective much. We are users, I
would like to think, which is more than just consumers.

Maybe I am a romantic who happens to be in a bad mood. So, do not let
this message discourage all of you who have more or a different faith
than I. Mine is too vague right now anyway to be useful. I would not
mind at all, if icannatlarge.com's success in the coming months, year,
proves that I was wrong tonight.