Re: [atlarge-discuss] (fwd) Urgent input needed for ERC on At-Large ***please respond by Monday morning***

Richard and all stakeholders or other interested parties,

Richard Henderson wrote:

> [...]

  I don't know that I would agree with that.  Given that now the ISOC no
longer allows individual members to vote for their representatives and that
over the past two years the ISOC members ship has shrunk significantly,
this is very possibly not so...

> However you either believe in democratic representation or you don't. If we
> only have 900 members, then that's all we represent. However, our goal is to
> represent hundreds of thousands, in order to have weight and credibility in
> our claims to represent users.

  Well users AND any and ALL stakeholders I would hope we should
endeavor to represent!  >;)

> Outreach is a vital priority after these elections : if the elected
> executive have vision and ambition, our numbers should grow exponentially.

  I agree that the numbers should grow very quickly for awhile if the
executive gets busy.  So far though, unless you have $$ to do viable
outreach, this is not happening with the present Panel.  This shall
remain to be so unless or until those $$ can be obtained.

> In my view we should base our organisation (and claims for the At Large to
> be democratically represented on the ICANN Board) on democracy - even if
> that disadvantages us in the first instance. We should stick to principles.
> And besides, if the ALAC is not run democratically, it will hardly be worth
> participating in anyway.

  Yes, the ALAC is in effect a trade association...

> Sure, we can continue to try to "influence" ICANN. But will they listen? Ha!
> However, from the outset, we should be trying to "plant the seed" of
> democratic representation inside ICANN.

  That seed was planted long ago now.  The problem is that some members
of the ICANN BOD and staff poisoned the sapling.

> Our own agenda and our moral authority should be built around democratic
> representation.

  Agreed.  We must insist that the MoU and the White Paper are implemented.

> It's what we should stand for.
>
> Otherwise, we'll just end up as the "window-dressing" of ICANN, and they
> will use us to show the DoC and the world: "There you are, we DO have an At
> Large process" while remaining unaccountable to the millions of users of the
> Internet all round the world.

  Yeah, this is already been done by the ICANN BoD and staff as you
most likely know.  They shall continue to play this little ruse for as long
as the DOC/NTIA allot them to get away with it I am afraid.

> Richard Henderson

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827