Re: [atlarge-discuss] My rough proposals for the ALAC

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 14:20:47 +0100, you wrote:

>Agreed, Vittorio. But how do we ascertain what our membership supports?
>Do we take a vote on issues like this?
>Do we just guess?

Of course this really depends on the kind of organizational processes
you want to make. Typically, some people favour indirect processes -
ie, members elect the panel and then the panel takes decisions,
involving members for general discussion, but actually having them
vote only in very rare cases, for example Bylaws amendments - while
other favour direct processes, in which membership is called to vote
very often, even on "ordinary" issues of the organization. Indirect
processes are usually simpler and more effective, but less open and
more subject to capture; however direct processes are subject to
capture too, especially if you have a very big membership who lacks
the time and motivations to follow, understand and cast an informed
vote on each specific issue that the organization has to cope with, so
in the end you get very low turnouts in membership votes.

So I guess this will be a theme to discuss when drafting the Bylaws.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------