Re: [atlarge-discuss] Membership Dues

Comments below...

--- Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Joop and all stakeholders or other interested parties,
>
> Joop Teernstra wrote:
>
> > At 11:25 a.m. 20/07/2002 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
> > >It costs money to participate in ICANN.
> >
> > Quite so.
> > The way ICANN operates, this cost has become an attrition-factor
> that
> > limits  participation to those who are on expense accounts.
>
>   Well if you don't have the dime, don't do the crime I guess.

So valid opinions are only from those people with money?

> > As an example, I am out-of-pocket for thousands of dollars just for
> travel
> > expenses  for the six meetings that I have participated in.
> > This is a big element in participants' burn-out.
>
>   Well in my country you can deduct some of those expenses on
> you taxes.

I'm in the US too, but other countries have other rules.  We shouldn't
base decisions solely on what is available in any single country.

> > >I support a much higher barrier -- real cash.
> > >

> > Cash contributions are a necessity, but should not act as a barrier
> > participation.
>
>   Good point.  But membership dues should be mandatory at some
> point soon for ICANNATLARGE.COM members.  However these
> dues should be minimal and based on the gross national income
> of each members home country.

It seems like a lot of work to determine this for every country, though
certainly better than some flat rate.

> > Not in the non-commercial DN holders' constituency and not for
> icannatlarge.
> >
> > I would support a beneficiary membership status that can be
> maintained via
> > a public record of a request for exemption from payment of
> contributions.
>
>   I wouldn't.

Perhaps there is a middle ground.  Participation in working groups or
things of that nature is free.  Membership dues would be for voting
members.  That way every opinion can still get heard, but only the
stakeholders (the ones that put in the money) have the final say in
organizational matters and votes.