Re: [atlarge-discuss] Membership Dues

John and all stakeholders or other interested parties,

John C. A. Bambenek wrote:

> Comments below...
>
> --- Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > Joop and all stakeholders or other interested parties,
> >
> > Joop Teernstra wrote:

> > > Quite so.
> > > The way ICANN operates, this cost has become an attrition-factor
> > that
> > > limits  participation to those who are on expense accounts.
> >
> >   Well if you don't have the dime, don't do the crime I guess.
>
> So valid opinions are only from those people with money?

  Absolutely not.  And I didn't say that this was the case either, nor
was my response to Joop or Joops comment dealing with "Valid
Opinions" either...  (See Joops statement/comment above again)

> > > As an example, I am out-of-pocket for thousands of dollars just for
> > travel
> > > expenses  for the six meetings that I have participated in.
> > > This is a big element in participants' burn-out.
> >
> >   Well in my country you can deduct some of those expenses on
> > you taxes.
>
> I'm in the US too, but other countries have other rules.  We shouldn't
> base decisions solely on what is available in any single country.

  Exactly right.  So than those from other countries that are financially
deprived or restricted in some way will need to be more creative
or find more creative ways in which they can afford to attend
such meetings.  Or as has been the case until recently, remote
participation is also an option which I myself have taken advantage
of...

> > > Cash contributions are a necessity, but should not act as a barrier
> > > participation.
> >
> >   Good point.  But membership dues should be mandatory at some
> > point soon for ICANNATLARGE.COM members.  However these
> > dues should be minimal and based on the gross national income
> > of each members home country.
>
> It seems like a lot of work to determine this for every country, though
> certainly better than some flat rate.

  These figures are available online from the state department.  So the
work to determine them is already done.

> > > Not in the non-commercial DN holders' constituency and not for
> > icannatlarge.
> > >
> > > I would support a beneficiary membership status that can be
> > maintained via
> > > a public record of a request for exemption from payment of
> > contributions.
> >
> >   I wouldn't.
>
> Perhaps there is a middle ground.  Participation in working groups or
> things of that nature is free.

  I agree, working groups are indeed a good method or idea.

>  Membership dues would be for voting
> members.  That way every opinion can still get heard, but only the
> stakeholders (the ones that put in the money) have the final say in
> organizational matters and votes.

  Well I think anyone that is a member should be able to vote on issues
and the to pay to vote is not fair to the less financially advantaged...

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827