[atlarge-discuss] Candidate Statement, David Schutt

David H Schutt
Born May, 1957
Chicago, IL USA

Currently, I work as information systems
manager at a small manufacturer in the US midwest.

My background is quite varied, at times in the past
I have been a musician, motorcycle messenger,
factory worker, and for several years I had an
independent business that designed electronics
and wrote software for the manufacturing industry.

For the past five years or so I've been participating in
various Internet policy initiatives and groups, including
the IFWP, BWG, and others. I've always focused on
issues as they relate to users, specifically free
speech.

I believe An Atlarge organization should be for all
Internet users.

With that said, my primary focus is currently on DNS
registrants, as the negative impact on registrants of
industry policy as expressed through ICANN is Internet
wide,and crosses national boundaries.

I think the mission of an Atlarge should include education,
advocacy, and services. These are all things that can and
should be done independently of ICANN. An Atlarge should
use as its organizing principle the needs of users, not
the needs of ICANN.

Each of the elements of education, advocacy, and services
should be focused on empowering the user.

Education should be both general and issue specific.

Advocacy should be in any appropriate forum. Not just ICANN.

Services should address the inherent imbalance of resources
of individuals and small organizations when they are
confronted with the results of industry marketing and
lobbying.

An effective Atlarge will need funding, and the sources of
funding should be diverse. Sources may include grants,
donations, nominal membership fees, and fees for some
services.

Whatever the mix of funding, fees or dues should not be a
barrier to anyone who wishes to participate in, or
contribute to, the Atlarge.

Thank you

David H Schutt
david@aminal.com