Re: [atlarge-discuss] Three questions for the candidates

Alexander Svensson wrote:

> 1. Can you point us to documents/statements/sites
>    regarding your perspective on ICANN and/or At Large?
>    [If you have often posted on a specific mailing list,
>    pointing to the web archives would be helpful.]

I have been active on ICANN's DNSO GA List for the last
few years (frightful to think that many of us actually
understand the preceeding string of acronyms... rather
elegant too:) Anyone interested in my postings and
activities there can visit
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/gaarchives.html

My candidate bio is available at
http://www.dnso.org/icannatlarge/2002.Apr.CANDIDATES-Sotiris.Sotiropoulos.html

[mind the wrap in url]

> 2. What experiences do you have in organizing non-commercial/
>    civil society/non-profit/citizen/related groups or
>    activities?

I was Chief Editor of a campus newspaper during my
matriculation, since then I have been very active in my
local community, particularly in after-school programs for
children.  I am keen on Web education and outreach as I
teach Computer Lab to children aged 5-12.

Interjection:  I believe the DNS is a small part of
something that is about more than just domain names.  Part
of what I do as a webhead: I run a hosting business that
provides services directly based on the DNS, this is a
part of my livelihood; the very fact that the system
exists and functions as well as it does is a credit to its
creators.  However, the Internet as a whole is a
marvellous resource and tool, but great care and
consideration needs to be taken over its long-term
development.  One of the hardest things to do with many of
the children I teach is to take them beyond the games,
games, and games that the Internet is renowned for amongst
the young.  If we are to succeed our efforts is to find a
way to make the issues of Individual User Representation
important to Users.  I try to start them off as young as
possible.  For me, icannatlarge.com must define itself as:

1. AN ASSOCIATION OF INDIVIDUALS WITH A PROFESSIONAL AND
PERSONAL INTEREST IN INTERNET ADDRESSING CORDINATION AND
POLICY ISSUES.

2. A GROUP THAT PROMOTES, SUPPORTS AND FACILITATES
EFFECTIVE REPRESENTATION AND EDUCATION OF ITS MEMBERS AND
THE GENERAL PUBLIC ON ISSUES THAT AFFECT AND INFLUENCE ALL
USERS OF THE GLOBAL INTERNET
ADDRESSING SYSTEM.

3. A HIGH PROFILE INTERNATIONAL USER ORGANIZATION.

4. A VOICE IN MATTERS DIRECTLY AFFECTING THE FIELD OF
INTERNET ADDRESSING ON BOTH LOCAL (i.e. national/regional)
AND  INTERNATIONAL LEVELS.

> 3. What experiences do you have in Internet-based teamwork?

I have experience in organizing and coordinating
class-oriented online group projects for the curious minds
of the coming generations.  Compared to them, working with
grown-ups online is an easy thing believe me.

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos