[atlarge-discuss] Re: [OFFLINE]Re: [atlarge-discuss] Point of personalprivilege -- I'm being disenfranchised byglitches in the system!

At 23:58 -0400 2002/08/03, Micheal Sherrill wrote:
>Huh?  ICANNatlarge has only been around since February 2002.  This is not ICANN, this is a separate organization that is trying to correct ICANN errors regarding the original concept of a bottom up organization.
>
>Join and vote next time.  Your communications have probably sufficed.

Now I'm *really* mystified.

ICANN set up their ICANN At Large as the means by which non-corporate Internet users could have some limited input into what happens to the Net. It was spelled out very clearly that to be a member of At Large was in no way to be a member of ICANN -- it was to be the member of a separate organization called ICANN At Large which could elect a small number of representatives to sit on the ICANN Board of Directors and cast votes on the  issue of new TLDs, etc. 158,000 or so people registered as members of ICANN At Large and were not, so far as I can judge from my own experience, informed that their membership in At Large had been rescinded.

I did hear from the CYBER-FEDERALIST of November 16, 2000 that some At Large members were forming an "Interim Coordinating Committee", followed the At Large Study with more than a little interest via its mailing list and Web site, etc.

There never was a "thanks for being a member and f*** off now because the organization no longer exists" message from ICANN -- just the information that the question of At Large membership had been revisited and eviscerated as ICANN had decided unilaterally that users should not be permitted representatives on the Board. Periodically, people on various mailing lists I subscribe to have posted information about the conduct of ICANN board meetings, discussion of its degree of respect for its charter, policy on TLDs and registrars, Karl Auerbach's attempt to conduct due diligence as is required for directors of organizations and ICANN's stonewalling, the court case, and so on. Periodically, there was further news about the "self-organizing" issue but it never seemed to come to anything.

Now I'm more convinced than ever that the "At Large" terminology should be eliminated forthwith. Clearly, ICANN made it impossible for the "ICC" or this new-and-completely-non-ICANN-At-large (which nonetheless appears to have a number of ICANN personnel running it) to notify those 158,000 registered members that there membership has been nullified entirely and that if they wish to participate in any way, they must just a variety of other organizations with considerably smaller memberships and no means of actually doing anything but talk amongst themselves.

Now I feel like a complete fool for having believed that the message from the ALSC and  all this talk about election of representatives and participation in ICANN committees meant this 'ICANN At Large' bore any relation to the "ICANN At Large" I joined two years ago. Looking over some of the material in my admittedly-incomplete e-mail archive, I can see why I got so @#$%^*! confused but I don't suppose that matters to ICANN or anyone else.

Sorry to have taken up so much of your time needlessly,

Judyth la pomme

>ICANN AT LARGE MEMBERS
>LAUNCH COORDINATING COMMITTEE
>TO WORK FOR "CONSTRUCTIVE ENGAGEMENT"

LOS ANGELES - The ICANN meeting in Marina del Rey was the site of an
historic event: the launch of a first organization to facilitate
self-organization of the ICANN At Large members and foster democratic
participation in the ICANN process. That new organization is the "Interim
Coordinating Committee" (ICC) for the ICANN At Large membership.

LOS ANGELES - The ICANN meeting in Marina del Rey was the site of an
historic event: the launch of a first organization to facilitate
self-organization of the ICANN At Large members and foster democratic
participation in the ICANN process. That new organization is the "Interim
Coordinating Committee" (ICC) for the ICANN At Large membership.

The ICC will promote and facilitate user participation in ICANN by Internet
users from around the globe.  The ICC is intended to help the membership
develop a collective voice with which to speak out on issues.  Its web site
is: http://www.ICANNmembers.org

Those launching the ICC have broad ties to the At Large membership. The
organizers include four of the five newly-elected At Large Directors and
five former Board candidates; in the recent election these nine individuals
received nearly 70% of all votes cast in their regions (Europe, Africa, L.
America, N. America).  Also participating were representatives from
numerous Internet societies, including the Korean Internet Forum, France
@Large, the Internet Democracy Project, Uruguayan Internet developer, the
African Internet Group, and the Italian Local Internet Community (.it).

A high priority issue for the At Large membership is the "Clean Sheet"
study proposed by the Board at their July meeting in Yokohama.  At that
time, the At Large Membership had not yet even been constituted.  Yet the
study's mandate is to reconsider the very existence of the At Large
membership -- a prospect that seems at odds with the remarkable success of
the At Large elections in which some 158,000 users participated.  The ICC
will be working with members to help articulate the member perspective on
this study.

Another issue is the need to be able to communicate with the Membership.
Currently, the membership data and even access to the ICANN-Announce
mailing list is not available to the membership. That makes it difficult to
inform users of member activities.

Another issue for the ICC is the legal status of the ICANN membership.  At
Large Members need to fully understand the rights and responsibilities
should accompany membership.  The ICC will also have to define procedures
for identifying consensus on issues relevant to users.

"The ICC is committed to constructive engagement with the existing Board,"
said Wolfgang Kleinwaechter, professor at the University of Aarhus. "ICANN
processes have sometimes been contentious, but with this important step
forward in the implementation of the At Large membership, there is a
renewed willingness to work together for effective problem-solving."

><< start of forwarded material >>

>Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:04:37 -0700
>To: espresso@e-scape.net
>From: newmember@icann.org
>Subject: ICANN At Large Membership
>
>ICANN At LARGE MEMBER ACTIVATION...SAVE THIS EMAIL!
>
>Congratulations, your new ICANN At Large Member account
>has been created. There is just one more piece of
>information you will need to activate your account:
>your unique pin number.
>
>Once your application has been approved, ICANN will mail
>your PIN number to your physical address.
>
>Accessing your At Large membership account will be easy!
>Just use your web browser to go to ICANN
>At Large:
>
>      https://members.icann.org/activate.html (Secure Server)
>
>        or
>
>      http://members.icann.org/activate.html (Unsecure Server)
>
>To activate your account, you will enter your At Large Membership
>number, Password, and Pin.  Use the following
>information:
>
>Membership number: 374546
>
>Password: {snipped]
>
>Pin number: Sent via postal service
>
>Save this e-mail for your records. Thank you for joining
>At Large. If you have any questions, please e-mail us
>at: support@members.icann.org.
>
>If you have received this email in error, please send us a
>message with Remove in the subject line at
>support@members.icann.org

[snip]

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>
ICANN At Large Member No. 374546 since July 2000