[atlarge-discuss] Outreach, outreach, outreach

Help
I just got back from a family day out. I've read the election details.

Thank you to everyone who offered me support. But more than that, to every single person who took part in this election, which is part of a developing demonstration of the viability of productive online elections. I'd like to comment on the very high calibre of some of the candidates who did NOT elected, some of whom I'm really disappointed did not make it. But as I've said previously, the real leadership in our organisation is the group of people who act practically at a local and regional level to "grow" the membership, and the job of the committee is to serve them and support them.

Particular thanks to our Watchdogs - to Alexander and Bret; to Elisabeth; and also Thomas for his ongoing support.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
now to the single issue I shall focus on this year : membership
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I have stated that I want to see at least 100,000 members by this time next year.

So I'm going to try to focus on Membership Lists and Membership Recruitment.

Firstly, MEMBERSHIP LISTS : we are a "proof of concept" for user participation and productive online elections. "Proof of Concept" because what we are doing is developing a process of verifiable internet user elections as an example to others; and because what we are proving within our own organisation must in turn be implemented inside ICANN.

I therefore want to play close attention to our membership lists this year, how often they get updated, at what level (national/regional/global) they get administered, and particularly the issue of verification (without which our "proof of concept" will lose credibility).

Secondly, MEMBERSHIP RECRUITMENT : this is what I'm primarily interested in. I've got 364 days to see 99,050 more members recruited!

Regardless of any other opinions, I hold the opinion that our aim is to establish a recognised global electorate. I know this must be built around local/national/regional groups that can liaise not only globally, but with ccTLDs etc and the media and users in your own communities.

Regional and national participation and involvement is essential, so I intend to liaise with representatives of every country in our organisation and my site www.theInternetChallenge.com is being updated to monitor the growth of our movement and the membership numbers in each country, also providing an interface for initiatives and support at local/national level.

I will personally get in touch with ALL interested parties, and as I say, I have a single focus : membership recruitment to at least 100,000 by next year. Which country is going to do the best?

Our organisation is serious about its demands for elected user representation at the heart of Internet administration. Its "proof of concept" democratic model must be rigorously developed; but we must also achieve real numerical significance, to add weight to our case, and real authority.

This is an initiative that must be built up outside ICANN (but we can still talk to ICANN and tell them what we demand).

This is an initiative which is clearly happening already (as demonstrated in these elections) and which is going to grow independently.

Best wishes to you all

Richard Henderson