Re: [atlarge-discuss] Challenge from Ross Rader

At 06:02 p.m. 22/08/2002 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
From Ross Rader's byte.org blog:

"I asked the question a week ago, but still don't "get" the answers. A few
people included me in a thread going on over on the at-large discussion list
regarding what the arguments for and against individual participation in
ICANN actually are. The answers coming back weren't all that convincing - all
I managed to take away was that users are entitled to a seat because they use
the system. Not terribly convincing. Convince me."
Ross,

Imagine for a moment that you are not a registrar, but a registrant.

Then read you own Tucows DN registration contract or the contract of any other registrar.
Do you not think you would have written that contract a litte differently if you were the Representative of the Registrants, authorised to negotiate such a Registrar contract on behalf of the registrants?
How about clauses that allow deletions at the registrar's sole discretion? Liability exclusions for gross neglect?

I may be able to convince you as an Individual, but in this debate you are a Registrar, the *other* contracting party.
Of course the Registration industry cannot be "convinced" that unilateral contracts of adhesion with captive customers are not a great idea.
I'm afraid more than convincing is needed.

--Joop